materialist australia



Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Out With the New, In With the Old


I just want to take the opportunity to publicly worship George Nelson Bubble Lamps, having privately done so for quite some time.

Some years ago, our collective hearts skipped when we saw one of these in an overpriced retro furniture store in Annandale (not for sale, I might note) and the pursuit began.  Sure, I could get it for a reasonable price with free shipping to anywhere in the US... but getting it to 'us' was a labour of love... and exorbitant postage.  But once my love's heart has skipped, there is no unskipping it, and with thanks to a heavily pregnant and patient friend stationed helpfully in Boston, the lamp was shipped and took up residence pride-of-place in our entrance hallway and not a day goes by where I don't look up and think every cent was worth it... even though it does make me feel a bit like one of those twats you see on Grand Designs who spends way over their budget for some minor designy detail from an artisan based in some remote region of Scandinavia.
Why a US$269 lamp should be sold here for AUS$650+, I will never understand.

1 comment: